Hi, I'm octagami, a creator, admin and developer for OMM.
This summer I decided to start coding a ground up rewrite of the Towny plugin.
Towny is the backbone of our survival PvE experience. The unfortunate reality is that the original Towny plugin halted active development back in 2012. It's part of the reason why Towny servers are now few and far between.
I have long been maintaining a fork of Towny for OMM. I've made plenty of changes, but none have been major. The sheer size and complexity of the Towny code base discouraged attempts to add any major new features.
In the process of trying to improve our experience for new players this summer, I was forced to face the fact that Towny was the weakest link in our PvE offering. I made the decision to take on a project I knew would be a monumental effort: Writing our own version of Towny from the ground up. To do this, I needed to reach feature parity, while maintaining backwards compatibility with the old Towny, so that the transition would be nearly seamless.
Two months and a few hundred hours of coding later, I now have a new Towny plugin for OMM that's roughly beta quality. The next task is to make sure it's fully tested so that we catch any bugs before it goes live to all servers. The best way to do that is a public beta.
Sometime this weekend Monday we'll be opening a public beta server. We'd like you all to try out the new features, report any bugs, and give your feedback. If you want to have fun while doing it, I suppose that's OK too. We're now live!
This rewrite will enable us refine add features to Towny based on community feedback and suggestions. In order to prove that point, I added (and improved) a long requested feature. Town and Nation wars.
Although the effort for the rewrite was extensive, much of the time went into rebuilding features we already had. Despite that, I did put time into some additional features, to help make the rewrite "feel" new.
- Interactive map UI with plot claiming /imap or /map ui
- UI for browsing nations, towns, and residents /nation list, /town list, /resident list
- Nations are now global (cross server)
- % tax of residents job income directly to town bank /t set taxes [%]
Planned features (not in beta)
- War UI for declaring, joining, surrendering /town war, /nation war
- Town vs Town and Nation vs Nation wars
- Peaceful/Neutral/Aggressive status for towns/nations /t set diplomacy [value]
- Declare a war, allies can choose to join your side (or not)
- Enemies can declare join your war on the opposing side
- War kill/death tracking
- War win conditions
- War spoils (opt in)
- Town blacklists (bar players from entering your town)
- Additional UI menus for town/nation management
- Town shop registry